||I know this scale is overkill for a kitchen scale, but I just got so tired of the low quality kitchen scales out there. This scale is fantastic. I did lots of research, and finally settled on this one. The key things I was looking for were, and which were met with this scale:
- No auto turn-off, or at least a long one. Regular kitchen scales all have short auto-turn-offs. There's nothing worse than pouring ingredients into the bowl on the scale, and having the scale turn off right when they are added to the bowl. This scale stays on for a long time; I've always just turned it off manually with the on/off button.
- Battery powered. Most scales this size are, but I certainly wouldn't want a plug-in only scale.
- .1 g granularity/accuracy. Having this granularity makes me feel more confident in the measure. For example, with cheap scales, you could weigh something that's 20 grams or so, and you could get a different measurement + or - 5g!
- Under $300. Again, a lot of $, but I use it all the time.
- Large enough platform for big kitchen bowls. The platform on this scale could be bigger, but so far, it hasn't been a problem.
- g and oz units.
- Small size. I don't want a giant scale that would be hard to store.
- Must have separate buttons for units and re-zero. You'd be surprised how hard this is to find. I re-zero all the time. And I change units all the time, depending on the recipe. I almost bought a different brand, until I realized you had to press and hold a button to re-zero (no dedicated button). Bizarre.
- Displayed unit with the measurement, not an arrow pointing to a pre-printed unit. Also hard to find.
There are other things I like about this scale that I didn't even know I wanted.
- Backlit display. This display is SOOO easy to read. And the backlight shuts off to save energy automatically.
- You can program the scale to show only the units you want. Otherwise, there would be a million to scroll through.
- You can set the value of gravity for where you live, which varies slightly all over the globe.
- The display has a sealed membrane, so you can wipe it clean with a damp sponge.
- Battery life is great.
Overall, I LOOOVE this scale. It's very sensitive when you add ingredients. I have great confidence in its measurements. It's easy to use, easy to read, and quite compact. It has adjustable feet so you can level it, and a leveling bubble. The startup and re-zero are fast.
My only negatives are:
- Could have a larger tray.
- Wish it had lbs + oz as a unit. It has oz, it has lbs, but it does not have a combo.
- Rarely, it loses its mind and won't re-zero. I have to turn it off and then on again. But this is rare, so no big deal.
This scale has all sorts of features I don't use, but if you need 'em, they're there.
Rating: [5 of 5 Stars!]